The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#57799 - 01/11/06 02:50 AM Test of Adventure Medical Thermo-Lite Bivy
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
This weekend my rescue group did some field training, while mostly land navigation and trekking we had them spend the night living out of their “24 Hour Packs”. A “24 Hour Pack” is a basic, lightweight kit that would allow the owner to live in the field and carry out their mission for 24 hours. I took this opportunity to test some of my survival gear; specifically I wanted to test out my shelter setup.

In my “24 Hour Pack”, I carry a pretty simple shelter set up, 1-Adventure Medical Themo-lite Bivy, 1-Supersized garbage bag and 1-lightweight backpacking poncho. I made a simple lean-to out of the poncho, my trekking poles, 4 zip-ties and a few feet of 550 cord. But I was more interested in how the Thermo-Lite Bivy would do.

I was dressed in an Underarmor LooseGear long sleeve shirt and ColdGear 1/4 zip top, Patagonia Capilene SW Bottoms, 5.11’s TDU (Poly/Cotton) and Smartwool hiking socks. I also had a Mountain Hardware Micro Dome beanie cap and Underarmor ColdGear liner gloves.

When I went to bed (2200) it was about 40deg F, I initially was in just the Thermo-lite bivy and was as warm as I could have wanted to be. Over the next two hours I slept comfortably, but was awoken by a strong draft at approx. 0000. When I awoke I checked my thermometer and it was now 34deg F, I pulled the plastic bag over the bivy and went back to bed. I slept intermittently over the next 4 hours or so. I was still warm enough to sleep, but could feel the cold. At approx. 0400 I checked my thermometer and it was 28 deg F. Now my feet were noticeably cold and my upper body was chilled, but still comfortable. At 0730 when the sun came up, I was chilled and ready to get up and out of my bivy.

I have used a Thermo-Lite bivy before in various situations and it had always exceeded my expectations, but this was the first real test as a survival tool and it did do better than I expected. It is light years ahead of a basic disposable space blanket or a heavier duty space blanket, as my partner found out… My conclusion, this setup will work for me in 90% of the environment I will find myself in. In colder conditions, this setup would still work because those environments would provide more resources to maintain warmth and I would already have better clothing. For our drill, although it was done to 28deg F at night, it was in the high 70s during the day. Because of this, and of my desire to just carry what I would if I only planned on being out for the day, I had less clothing than I would if I had planned on operating at night.

#57800 - 01/11/06 05:47 AM Re: Test of Adventure Medical Thermo-Lite Bivy
Brad Offline
journeyman

Loc: houston
Thanks for the review.

I've been thinking about one for quite a while, this might seal the deal.

#57801 - 01/11/06 01:09 PM Re: Test of Adventure Medical Thermo-Lite Bivy
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I have a $20 coupon for EMS. I now know where that's going. Thanks for the review.

#57802 - 01/11/06 03:10 PM Re: Test of Adventure Medical Thermo-Lite Bivy
Woodsloafer Offline

Loc: Upstate NewYork
Speculation is cheap, but testing like this should be the basis of gear selection.
Your test settles it; the Thermo-Lite Bivy goes into my level 3 kit in place of the thermo blanket.
Well done, Romania.
(When you said 0000, I assume you mean 2400, i.e. midnight.)

#57803 - 01/11/06 04:56 PM Re: Test of Adventure Medical Thermo-Lite Bivy
adam Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Long Island, NY
Any condensation to report? My biggest problem w/ this bag was the possibility of condensation forming and me waking up soaked.

Adam

#57804 - 01/11/06 07:16 PM Re: Test of Adventure Medical Thermo-Lite Bivy
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

No condensation to report, but it is rather dry here. In the AM i was completly dry! Yes, 0000 refers to midnight...

#57805 - 01/12/06 09:10 PM Re: Test of Adventure Medical Thermo-Lite Bivy
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Like I been sayin' all along...

Now I guess I gotta break down and order that Land shark bag and put it through it's paces. I was gonna do the bivy, but since you beat me to it, on to the next.

BTW, did you have something comfy to lay the sack on, or just the ground?

#57806 - 01/12/06 10:54 PM Re: Test of Adventure Medical Thermo-Lite Bivy
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

I was on the ground, but it was softish sand...

#57807 - 01/12/06 11:18 PM Re: Test of Adventure Medical Thermo-Lite Bivy
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I just bet if you could've got something under you like pine boughs or some such you might've stayed a little warmer.

#57808 - 01/12/06 11:25 PM Re: Test of Adventure Medical Thermo-Lite Bivy
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

That was my thought too, but there was nothing avalible... the disadvantages of the desert! If I was farther north, it I think I would have had more resources avalible to keep me warmer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 215 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.