Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5554 - 04/18/02 01:35 PM Air-security acceptable survival kit?
Stefan Offline

Loc: Sweden, South
If I were to carry a survival kit on person, on board an airplane in the US, or anywere else in the world for that matter, post the 9/11-disaster, what would I be allowed to carry? What kit would I have to leave out (packed in the suitcase that is checked in). What first aid items would be accepted in cabin and what wouldnt? What could be carried that are "Air security friendly"? I already have a basic kit, but it contains steel wire, wire saw, sewing needles, razor- blade and such. The FAK has scissors and an IV/syringe-set. As I understand it not even the disposable razor in the hygiene-set are acceptable any longer? In my view the less tampering (in and out of the altoid-box) the more likely the survival/first aid kit would be carried.<br>Any suggestions?<br><br>Stefan, Sweden

#5555 - 04/18/02 04:17 PM Re: Air-security acceptable survival kit?
Anonymous
Unregistered

U.S. airports are very tool-unfriendly these days. Based on my experience, the scissors, steel wire, wire saw, and razor are definite no-nos. I saw a woman sewing in the Salt Lake City airport just after the Olympics and expressed my surprise that she was able to get her needles past secuity. She said they didn't bother her about the needles. That may depend on the individual airport. Shouldn't be that way, but it seems like it is. I can't answer about the syringe. Also, it would be interesting to see how they treat the Altoids box itself, as it goes thru the x-ray machine and shows up as an opaque rectangle.<br><br>Good luck.<br><br>Alan

#5556 - 04/18/02 06:47 PM Re: Air-security acceptable survival kit?
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Search the archives. There have been previous threads on this this subject, one included a link to a web page with the official policy of what's allowed and waht is not allowed on board.

#5557 - 04/18/02 09:31 PM Re: Air-security acceptable survival kit?
jet Offline
Enthusiast

Hi Stefan,<br><br>When the going gets tough, the tough get creative. Here are some suggestions based on my own post WTC preparations.<br><br>You can do a web search for "Citizens' Preparedness Guide" and download a PDF file of it. In that document, they say you can carry a walking cane or umbrella (following an inspection), nail clippers with no attached metal nail file, safety razors (including disposable razors), syringes (with documented proof of medical need), tweezers and eyelash curlers on board airplanes. Obviously, I don't think all of the airlines are aware we can do this yet. You could always order a paper copy of this document from whatever appropriate source and point out this list to the Security Personel as you try to convince them not to confiscate your stuff. <br><br>I think it may be more helpful to think in terms of "things to take with you" and "things to wear" rather than a one single self-contained "kit". The stuff I carry won't all fit in a little "kit". Also, if all your stuff is together in one "kit", it looks more odd than a person who just happens to carry a lot of crap with them when they travel. Also, some moron can't just say, "I'm sorry, this kit looks dangerous to me" and confiscate your entire gear selection in one blow. If it's distributed about your person, they have to take a separate action for each and every item.<br><br>Doug says he travels with a Priority Mail envelope or box with ample postage for use in case he needs to get out of line, mail some denied item(s) home to himself and get back in line. Sounds wise to me.<br><br>I would strongly recommend avoiding titanium charge cards w/ sharp edges, key blades or anything else that isn't 100% legal. I would suggest there is much that can be done creatively within the rules. Trying to slip or sneak something past the guards is only going to cause you problems, sooner or later.<br><br>Wear natural fiber clothing instead of melting burnables -- er, that is ... synthetics. I'm partial to silk for hot weather and wool for cold ... especially for underwear and socks.<br>Remember to plan for all possible weather conditions since you may be diverted and have to land at alternate locales, and not merely your origin or destination. Layers are good. You can always wear a t-shirt with a collared shirt over it, and take off the outer shirt if it's too hot. You should carry some sort of coat or jacket ... or, at least, a windbreaker ... any time you travel. Remember, your first shelter is your clothing. Make it good. Depending on your preferences, you can pocket away a sun hat in your windbreaker or wool watch cap in your coat... or both.<br>Leather gloves are sturdy hand-protectors, and also carry easily in your jacket pocket.<br><br>Be sure you are preparing for the expected emergencies, not just the unexpected ones:<br>You may lose your checked baggage. I have. Many people have. Being in a strange place without your gear is an urban survival situation. Carry a shirt, pair of socks & pair of underwear in your carry on bag. Also carry any toiletries you don't want to buy when you get there.<br>Travellers are targets for thieves, for they tend to carry money. Carry your cash/cards/checks in two locations each. I use my regular wallet and also a hidden "travel wallet", which is a thin flat fanny pack that goes under my clothing.<br>Nothing wrong with carrying some food bars and water in your carry-on bag. In lieu of water purifiers and iodine tablets, how about one of those new filtering/purifying water bottles? I wouldn't rely solely on it for camping, but for air travel it makes sense.<br><br>For general gear, there are things you can take which won't bother anyone and which will be very useful:<br>Drier lint becomes invisible in a pocket. <br>Duct tape can be rolled off a large main roll onto anything (or nothing -- try it) to make a small pocket sized roll of whatever length you wish.<br>Lacing your shoes with two laces each and/or wearing some sort of woven belt can provide you with emergency cordage.<br>There are wristwatches which are also emergency radio beacons, if you want to spend the money on them. Any commercial airliner that goes down is not going to do so unnoticed, so this is not really necessary.<br>Sunglasses are good.<br>You can put a Photon, Fox 40, shrink-wrapped magnesium/flint rod, signal mirror, ball chain, split rings, etc. on your keychain.<br>You can carry one box of NON "Strike Anywhere" type matches on your person. Make them good ones. Lifeboat matches may be the best, but Coughlan's "Windproof/Waterproof" (not the merely "Waterproof" ones) look just like normal matches and will attract less attention than that little white bottle the Lifeboats come in.<br>Carry a paperback book for tinder and as a neato storage medium for your fresnel lens magnifying glass bookmark.<br>A cell phone is always good. Get a waterproof bag designed to protect them from immersion when kayaking or such.<br>A roll of quarters is innocuous and can be used to create a "loaded fist" for fighting... or even to make a phone call. <br>A notebook or pad of waterproof paper makes perfect sense.<br>A disposable Cricket or Bic lighter is utterly normal, but put it in your jacket pocket if you're carrying matches in your pants or you'll look like a pyro.<br>A small battery operated FM radio might be nice to have<br>Jackets can have zipper pull compasses and thermometers attached to them.<br><br>For convenience, I put all my normal pocket stuff & personal jewelry -- except the matches -- in a small "travel bag" that can be carried as a shoulder bag (man's "purse") or fanny pack. It's so small it does not count as an item of "baggage". I throw it on the xray with my jacket & carry-on and don't wear any metal. (My belt, with its metal buckle, is actually in my carry-on bag at that point. I put it on later.) <br><br>If there is an emergency in the air, there are some things you can do:<br>Smoking is illegal on U.S. flights now since a fire broke out in a lavatory on one flight and the smoke killed many of the passengers. The oxygen masks won't fall down for you to use if there's smoke -- only if there's a depressurization. Carry a smoke hood. I find the Brookdale "EVAC-U8" to be the "safest/friendliest" looking, but Doug says the Essex PB&R "PLUS 10" is the best.<br>If the problem is Air Rage or Hijackers, our illustrious government has decreed that the skies will be safer if we all have absolutely no way to defend ourselves, so ... improvise. You may not be able to carry a sword cane, but you may be able to convince them to let you carry on a cane. As the boomers age, this will be ever more commonplace. Any piece of glass or ceramic can be broken to provide a sharp edge. Carry a mirror. Or a bottle of wine you buy in the duty-free area after you pass Security. (Duct or electrical tape can create a safer handle on shards.) Since you should be carrying leather gloves in the pockets of your windbreaker, jacket or coat, you could make them kevlar, spectra or other slash-guard type gloves to provide you with more protection in case you need to fight someone with a knife or other sharp implement. A pen or pencil can become a stabbing implement. An airline blanket can become a net when held up and a bracer when wrapped around your forearm.<br>Anyone can have a medical situation. A first aid kit makes sense to carry in your carry-on bag.<br><br>If you find yourself in an off-site landing, there are two possiblities: water and land.<br><br>For water, you want to get into the raft, if you can. Doug says some Mentholatum or Vicks Vapor Rub in your nose (from your first aid kit) may help you not to throw up when everyone else in the raft starts throwing up. Sea Bands or a "Reliefband" (also from your first aid kit) can also help you with motion sickness.<br>If you don't want to take your chances with a floating seat cushion instead of a real life preserver, you could carry or wear a Float Coat in lieu of a more conventional windbreaker, jacket or coat. You could buy your own inflatable life vest, but they'd probably make you take the CO2 cartridge out. Still, blowing up your own vest would be superior to clinging to a seat cushion. I don't know for sure if the Eagle Enterprises "Survival Vest" can be manually inflated, but, if it can, that would work well and also provide another layer of clothing.<br>Hypothermia will be the number one concern in the water. First aid kits often have aluminized mylar emergency blankets for treating shock victims. An aluminized mylar bag instead could be used as a thermal protective aid to trap water around you. The water in the bag would warm from your body temperature but be trapped around you to form an insulating barrier between you and the colder water outside the bag.<br>A couple of reuseable gel heat packs in the first aid kit would also help in the water if you stuck them under your armpits and held them tight to drive the heat into your torso ... especially at first, before the trapped water in the bag warms up any.<br>This is another good time for that wool watch cap.<br><br>For land, your first aid kit should have some petroleum jelly based antibiotic and DEET based insect repellent to put on your cotton balls, cotton rolls, triangular bandages, tampons & sanitary napkins, etc. to create tinder. Oh, and how about some wooden tongue depressers held together with a couple of heavy duty rubber bands cut from bicycle inner tubes.<br>And, of course, there's that aluminized mylar bag from the first aid kit, which can be used as is or cut on two sides to form a double-wide heat reflector and/or rain/wind tarp.<br><br>Aside from more "normal" medical supplies, a first aid kit can also carry multi-use items:<br>Duct, cloth or electrical tape can be substituted for medical tape... or can supplement it.<br>A 44hr NuWick candle to provide light or heat to a shock victim ... or anyone else. The Security folks made me take the matches out of mine & carry them in my pocket. I also twisted the tin "tweezers" into a coil, so it didn't look like such a destructive deadly instrument. It'll still be there when I need it.<br>Sunblock & lip balm are always good.<br>A Krill lamp would also provide emergency light if you needed to tend to anyone in the dark or at night. You could also have some 30min & 5min high and ultra-high intensity Cyalumes in there with string to swing them around for signalling search aircraft or ships. You could carry these anywhere, but they'd receive the least notice in the first aid kit.<br><br>This is all still new to me. I've done many of these already and will do more as time goes by. You can use this as a springboard and see what ideas you can come up with yourself to supplement these. Be sure to share any good ones.

#5558 - 04/18/02 10:43 PM Re: Air-security acceptable survival kit?
Anonymous
Unregistered

For convenience, the list of items mentioned in Jet's post.<br><br><br>Allowed by Gov't document "Citizens' Preparedness Guide" published on FEMA site (US regs -- don't know about Isreali or other.)<br><br>walking cane<br>umbrella (following an inspection)<br>nail clippers with no attached metal nail file<br>safety razors (including disposable razors)<br>syringes (with documented proof of medical need)<br>tweezers<br>eyelash curlers<br><br>Other things not mentioned but probably allowed because not threatening.<br><br>Wearable suggestions:<br><br>Wear natural fiber clothing instead of melting burnables -- er, that is ... synthetics. I'm partial to silk for hot weather and wool for cold ... especially for underwear and socks.<br><br>some sort of coat or jacket ... or, at least, a windbreaker <br>sun hat<br>wool watch cap<br>Leather gloves<br>shirt<br>pair of socks<br>pair of underwear<br>toiletries<br>Carry your cash/cards/checks in two locations each. I use my regular wallet and also a hidden "travel wallet", which is a thin flat fanny pack that goes under my clothing.<br>food bars<br>water<br>water purifiers<br>iodine tablets<br>filtering/purifying water bottles<br>Drier lint becomes invisible in a pocket<br>Duct tape can be rolled off a large main roll onto anything (or nothing -- try it) to make a small pocket sized roll of whatever length you wish.<br>Lacing your shoes with two laces each and/or wearing some sort of woven belt can provide you with emergency cordage.<br>There are wristwatches which are also emergency radio beacons<br>Sunglasses are good.<br>Photon<br>Fox 40<br>shrink-wrapped magnesium/flint rod<br>signal mirror<br>ball chain<br>split rings<br>Lifeboat matches<br>Coughlan's "Windproof/Waterproof" (not the merely "Waterproof" ones)<br>Carry a paperback book for tinder<br>fresnel lens magnifying glass bookmark.<br>A cell phone is always good. Get a waterproof bag designed to protect them from immersion when kayaking or such.<br>A roll of quarters is innocuous and can be used to create a "loaded fist" for fighting... or even to make a phone call. <br>A notebook or pad of waterproof paper makes perfect sense.<br>A disposable Cricket or Bic lighter<br>A small battery operated FM radio<br>zipper pull compasses and thermometers<br>Brookdale "EVAC-U8" smoke hood<br>Essex PB&R "PLUS 10" smoke hood<br>carry on a cane. As the boomers age<br>mirror<br>bottle of wine you buy in the duty-free area after you pass Security<br>kevlar lined leather gloves<br>pen or pencil can become a stabbing implement<br>airline blanket can become a net when held up and a bracer when wrapped around your forearm.<br><br>A first aid kit<br><br>Mentholatum or Vicks Vapor Rub in your nose (from your first aid kit)<br>Sea Bands or a "Reliefband"<br>a Float Coat in lieu of a more conventional windbreaker, jacket or coat<br>Eagle Enterprises "Survival Vest"<br>An aluminized mylar bag <br>A couple of reuseable gel heat packs in the first aid kit<br>petroleum jelly based antibiotic<br>DEET based insect repellent<br>cotton balls<br>cotton rolls<br>triangular bandages<br>tampons<br>sanitary napkins<br>some wooden tongue depressers<br>a couple of heavy duty rubber bands cut from bicycle inner tubes.<br>Duct, cloth or electrical<br>A 44hr NuWick candle <br>Sunblock & lip balm are always good.<br>A Krill lamp<br>30min & 5min high and ultra-high intensity Cyalumes<br><br><br>It is clear that there are many things that we can carry to increase our chances of survival and rescue even in commercial airliners. This is just one set of items that is likely to pass without too much trouble. The list is impressive but Jet's explaination of how to carry and use these items is the truly useful post. This has gotten me thinking creatively.<br><br>Thanks, Jet!<br><br> Brad

#5559 - 04/18/02 11:02 PM Re: Air-security acceptable survival kit?
Anonymous
Unregistered

It has always depended on the airport. The two I know best are Manchest NH and Bulington VT. At Manchester, I WAS able to carry my leatherman through in my pocket, while Burlington let it pass on my belt, to great people at the gates. And yes, it has been a a few months since I done more than drive past an airport.<br><br>Now, it's not only the airport, but also the airline- it has always been that they can add more "security" fetures- and the rent-a-twit that you deal with. Even with a copy of the national and airline regs, you might not be able to get, say, an aluminum cane through, even with a limp.<br><br>Oh, and if you tell them your little metal box is a survival kit, forget it. Ask the airlines- planes only crash by human error and hostile action, and since pilots and ground crew are hand picked from the best of those who are perfect, only hostile action remains. Since we are now able to strip search everyone who looks at all dangerous, there is no way for hostile action to crash a plane. If you feel you need a survival kit, then you must be planing on the plane crashing, so logically, you are planning on attempting a hostile action, which can not succedd because you can't carry anything that might be a weapon, but just be sure, you not getting on that plane. <br><br>*scowls* !*C^ing morons are going to kill us all, even if it is only to protect us from eachother. "If we kill you, you can't hurt yourself or anyone else."

#5560 - 04/19/02 04:44 AM Re: Air-security acceptable survival kit?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Undoubtedly many of us could combine our belly button lint with ear wax to produce a lot of fire starter

#5561 - 04/19/02 07:14 AM Re: Air-security acceptable survival kit?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here are some other suggestions for survival equipment that can be carried onboard a plane.<br><br>Sewing Kit<br>Super Glue<br>High Energy Food Supplement Bars<br>Credit Cards- Can be sharpened into cutting instruments for emergency situations<br>Aluminum Foil<br>Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil- Like disposible pie plates or disposible oven liners<br>Steel Wool- use a 9 volt battery to start a fire<br>Camera lenses can be used to start a fire<br>Whistle<br>The magnet in earphones can be used to make a compass if you lose your real compass. Actually one of the needles from the sewing kit and a small float can make a compass. Watch "The Empire of the Sun" directed by Steven Speilberg for an example.<br>Can of soda<br><br>As a kid in high school I used to be deathly afraid to walk home through gang infested neighborhoods with the threat of being jumped or getting shot in a drive by shooting. Just before leaving from school I would always buy a can of soda and carry it all the way home without opening it. Why? A can of soda can be used as a weapon if needed. It can be put into a shirt or sack and swung like a mace. It can be used as club in your fist. It can be thrown. It can be shaken up and sprayed into an attacker's eyes. And it can be torn and used as a slashing instrument.<br><br>That soda can can also be used as a pot to boil water, as a signaling device, as a float for fishing, the tab or small piece of the can can be used as a fishing lure, it can be fashioned into a stove, oh...and the contents can be consumed as a refreshing thrist quencher.<br><br>The other thing I did was wear my book filled backpack high on my torso and facing the street. This protected my vital organs from stray bullets that may come my way. It didn't protect my head, but the chances of a bullet hitting my head were smaller than it hitting my body.<br><br><br><br>

Edited by Wayneburg (04/19/02 07:31 AM)

#5562 - 04/19/02 09:29 AM Re: Air-security acceptable survival kit?
jet Offline
Enthusiast

Brad,<br>Thanks. I'm glad you liked it.<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Allowed by Gov't document "Citizens' Preparedness Guide" published on FEMA site (US regs -- don't know about Isreali or other.)<p><hr></blockquote><p>Oops, right. Thanks. All of my planning has been regarding U.S. travel. I have rarely traveled abroad. Obviously, different countries will have different rules. So will different airports. So will different airlines. So will different Security Officers. Nothing is certain.<br><br><br>I had some more thoughts to share on this thread. I hope no one minds. I've been thinking about this a lot, and it's fun to be writing it all out. Writing is also helpful for me, as I find my thoughts crystalizing better when I have to be tangible and specific.<br><br><br>Both carry on and checked baggage have size & weight limits.<br><br>Maximum checked weight in the U.S. tends to run about 70lbs/31kgs. British Airways might limit checked weight to 66lbs/30kg or 51lbs/23kg & China might limit weight to 44lbs/20kg! Domestic travel within some countries (not the U.S.) often limits weight to 44lbs/20kg.<br>Maximum size tends to run about 62in/157cm total linear measurement (length + height + width).<br>Checked bags must have a name & address visible from the outside, and should also have it again on the inside to help with identification & proof of ownership if lost.<br>Most airlines recommend checking only bags that lock. It won't stop a determined thief, but will deter more casual pilferage.<br>Electronics like laptops cannot be checked.<br><br>In order to be allowed on any flights anywhere, carry-on bags should weigh less than 13lbs/6.5kg and have dimensions less than 45cm x 35cm x 20cm, which is just under 18" x 14" x 8". This is not a lot of room/weight, so choose carefully what you really want to carry with you. Check where you will be traveling and investigate what the regs are. It would be a shame to plan out a great carry-on survival bag and have to check it because it's an inch too wide for some country you're flying through. Some airlines have somewhat larger allowances, so you can tailor your bag to specific trips if you're willing to do the research work. If you're gonna carry full gear, though, it's gonna be hard to squeeze that laptop in. Maybe a PDA... or a second bag... you only get so many...<br>It's probably a very good idea to have your name & address on both the inside and outside of your carry-on bag(s) too.<br><br><br>Wayneburg,<br>Gas-reservoir lighters are allowed. Liquid-reservoir lighters are not allowed. And again, one single box of non-strike-anywhere matches on your person is allowed. Of course, that's just policy and policy is overruled by Officer Jones At The Gate. So, FWIW, and from personal experience, no one has ever given even a second glance to my Cricket or Bic disposable butane gas lighters, even since WTC. To help that continue to be the case, I don't carry full-sized ones, nor multiples ones, but merely one single mini-sized one, and only the cheap disposable kinds, never anything nice. Heck, you can buy them at the stores inside the airports past the Security areas. Also, like I said in the earlier post, I changed from the odd-looking Lifeboat match bottle to the more normal-looking Coughlan's Windproof/Waterproof box.<br>A sewing kit would include needles. While small sewing needles are not specifically prohibited in the U.S. Citizen's Preparedness Guide, nor any online sources I have found, knitting needles most definitely are. Of course, Officer Smith (Jones' buddy) will have the final say about that. I'd rather not try it, because I don't want to carry anything questionable. Once they confiscate/refuse one thing, I can't help but figure they'll be just that much more likely to confiscate/refuse another thing. And if one officer in one country at one airport says yes, another somewhere else will say no.<br>Aluminum Foil. Right. Should have mentioned that. Odd item. I think, like most of the odd items, it would be most innocuous in the First Aid Kit.<br>#0000 steel wool & a 9v battery. Hmm... the steel wool might look odd. I can't think of a medical reason for it. A PALight would look perfectly normal in a first aid kit and provide an excuse for a 9v battery.<br>I have used Super Glue for closing smaller cuts. I think it's a good item to include in a normal first aid kit. I wonder if it's considered a Hazardous Material by any airlines...<br>I love the ideas you gave about a soda can. In the movie, "Bad Boys," Sean Penn used several soda cans in a pillow case as a fearsome club. Hmm... my spare pair of socks with a couple of soda cans?<br>Thanks.<br><br><br>In my earlier post, I talked a lot about what we might take and how. But, when discussing or thinking about how to get stuff through the checkpoint, I think we should all be responsible and make sure we don't take anything we shouldn't. Some items which are harmless at ground level and in open environments can be troublesome or dangerous at high altitude or in enclosed spaces. We've discussed a lot of this in earlier threads, but I don't know how not to reiterate some of it as I type my additional thoughts on this thread.<br>Only certain types of pressurized items, especially of odorous or flammable fluids, are allowed, and only in certain quantities. If you had a leak or spill, you would be unpopular and, possibly, in legal trouble or even genuine peril.<br>Compressed oxygen is a no-no.<br>Wet-cell batteries are off limits. Most of our kind of stuff runs on dry cell batteries anyway, so that's not a big deal.<br>Compasses generate magnetic fields, but only very large compasses will make fields big enough to interfere with airplane systems. Small ones are okay.<br><br>More thoughts on after-crash survival equipment:<br>One toiletry that might be worth mentioning is tissues. They can be used for their intended purpose or as tinder or as the rarely talked about but always needed toilet paper while you wait for SAR.<br>Dental floss would substitute for thread, fishing line, light cordage, etc.<br>Potassium Permanganate is an oxidizer, so you can't carry it. Iodine and chlorine tablets are okay, but I think I'd rather have a filtering/purifying water bottle dedicated for flying, as it looks less like "survival gear".<br>Incendiaries are right out! No flares, smoke signals, etc. I don't know about marker dye -- I've never tried to take it nor read anything about it in any of my research. Hmm...<br>Oxygen activated heat pads probably are not allowed, as they work through oxidation. Phooey.<br>I mentioned breaking a mirror and wrapping the shards with duct tape. This should be a mirror dedicated for such a purpose, perhaps kept with your toiletries. A dedicated signal mirror should also be kept separately, perhaps with your first aid kit. This one you will not want to break.<br>Fat wood doesn't look dangerous. Especially short blunt pieces.<br><br>Purely hypothetical thinking about floating in the ocean for extended periods of time:<br>All important gear should float or be in something that floats. Perhaps a good carry on bag would be a purposefully designed boat bag?<br>Many ocean divers consider a snorkel to be mandatory equipment. Trying to breath while floating in ocean swells is difficult. The longer you're out there, the more water you will swallow. The more time the SCUBA divers I have known have spent in oceans, the more they like their snorkels, even though they're a pain to carry when underwater. And divers have some choice about how long they're going to be out there. In a crash, we may not have any choice -- we'll be there until we're rescued. Swallowing salt water will lead to nausea, vomiting and dehydration. This will only make motion sickness that much worse. Five minutes may be no big deal, but five hours?<br>A mask & snorkel might look funny to someone searching your bag, but... would they really look "suspicious"? I don't... think... so... maybe. I've seen small two-piece folding snorkels made just for ocean SCUBA divers to keep in the pockets of their BCs for when they are on the surface. They are made to keep out of the way in a pocket when under water. I wonder if one of those might be worth taking. Maybe not a mask. Maybe a nose clip & goggles? That would be smaller. I don't know. I'm just sort of thinking about it as I write.<br>I emailed Doug about snorkels in Ditch Bags once a long time ago. He didn't think it would be that helpful, given the long immersion times often involved. I figured just the opposite; the longer one was adrift, the more important a snorkel would be. Any other thoughts since then, Doug? Any comment from the Coast Guard, Chris? Any ocean SCUBA divers out there with experience along these lines? I'm really curious.<br><br>Regarding first aid kit contents:<br>Anti-Emetics (for motion sickness) are an excellent idea. These can be oral or topical. Or both.<br>A compressed dehydrated sponge, large clear poly bags (both for biohazard clean up) and short length of teflon, surgical or aquarium tubing (for tourniquets) wouldn't look too terribly out of place, and could help with water procurement, if needed.<br>Mercury thermometers are not probably your best choice. Mercury and aluminum don't like each other, and, until we find something better, aircraft will continue to be built from aluminum. An electronic medical thermometer will work, as will "Tempa-Dot" or other disposable thermometers.<br>Hydrogen Peroxide is an oxidizer. Don't carry it.<br>Alcohol is a flammable liquid. Don't carry it.<br>Ammonia Inhalents (aka "Smelling Salts") are not a good idea.<br>All items included should be subjected to a similar scrutiny as the Hydrogen Peroxide, Alchol and Ammonia Inhalents, to make sure that all items are appropriate for such an unusual environment as an airplane. Or raft.<br><br>Miscellaneous thoughts about packing:<br>No packages should be sealed. Just as gifts should be unwrapped, so should any tins or kits be easily openable and searchable. And repackable. I work hard to utilize every bit of volume in my PSKs for something. This won't work for Security Checkpoints. They'll need to open it up, dump it out and go through it. You will need to dump it all back in and be able to close it easily. This means you will need more empty space in your bags & boxes.<br><br><br>Whew! Brain dump finished. For now...

#5563 - 04/19/02 11:00 AM Re: Air-security acceptable survival kit?
Anonymous
Unregistered

jet,<br><br>"Bad Boys" with Sean Penn is exactly where I got the idea of carrying a soda can for self defense! I cannot begin to explain how traumatic it was living in such fear for most of my life. I truely believe my friends and I are still going though a type of post traumatic stress disorder. However, just knowing that I am able to contribute to another person's survival gives me much peace and fulfillment.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 179 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
05/01/24 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.