Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#48248 - 09/07/05 02:02 PM Radical changes in my assumptions for planning...
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Recent events have pointed out that at least some of my planning assumptions need to be rethought. Here are some of the changes

1. I'm going assume that my family will be without any sort of help for 7-10 days.

2. This means more food, but mostly more water -- 40 liters minimum, stored in 5 gal and 2 L containers.

3. We may have to self-rescue (walk out) after a period of shelter-in-place.

4. More planning for the pets; stored food, water, leashes and kennels for transport

5. Lots more training

TRO

#48249 - 09/07/05 02:44 PM Re: Radical changes in my assumptions for planning...
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I believe the original idea behind the 72 hour kit and the .gov recomendation was because they plan to be there within 72 hours to rescue you. I think this would normally be the case from looking at other disasters, this one was just larger than they could handle.
Some things I noticed from the NO mess, people didn;t have their ID's with them and it was needed to get through the checkpoints. I have seen many people who take their wellet out of their pocket and keep it in their car, desk drawer, whatever. You should always keep your wallet with you, it should be the first part of your EDC and should have the most basic ID, cash, credit/bank cards.
People were without clothing and shoes after they evacuated. I'm thinking of buying and extra pair of shoes and clothes and putting under my bed so if I do get caught by surprise I can grab them and have clothing if I have to exit via the window or roof. My cell phone, wallet, leatherman, etc all stay on the nightstand where I sleep so they are ready to go already.
5 gallon jugs are hard to carry if you need to bug out. I took an old backpack and filled it full of small bottles of water and keepit handy now so if I do have to bug out I can grab it and go. This is in addition to my normal edc/bob because I realized I didn't have enought water. I plan to rotate these bottles, put the new in the bag and drink what was in the bag.

#48250 - 09/07/05 03:33 PM Re: Radical changes in my assumptions for planning
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
I plan on definitely stockpiling more water.

Though some people were unable to leave (sick, elderly, no transportation, etc.), a good number of people evacuated New Orleans and the surrounding areas before the storm hit.

The more and more I see about the hurricane and its destruction, the more I think I'd probably hit the road. Not just because of Mother Nature herself, but also the unpredictable chaos afterwards.

Katrina has been a swift kick-in-the-butt reminder to finally get my important paperwork and documents together, and waterproofed.

#48251 - 09/08/05 09:17 AM Re: Radical changes in my assumptions for planning...
NAro Offline
Addict

I agree with you, TRO. I'm moving towards the same modifications, with these additions:
1)I'm looking into an inexpensive storage building (actually, 1/2 unit) on my most-probable evacuation route. There I'll probably keep supplemental (even duplicate) supplies.
2)I bought the Eton-Grundig 300 radio, which can also charge cell phones.
3)I already use an on-line data backup service which automatically uploads designated files to two remote storage servers (East coast and West coast). I've scanned into a folder (and this gets stored here, and remotely) the following:
a)digital photographs, in some detail, of my home and office structure and contents.
b)important documents such as insurance records, car titles, home title, our wills, and advance medical directives.
c)an abreviated medical records file.

I have contact persons in a remote location who can access this online storage if necessary.

#48252 - 09/08/05 04:08 PM Re: Radical changes in my assumptions for planning...
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

We have a phone net for family ( who to call if some or all of us are out of our homes). Our contact is out of state.

I'd also back-up your most important files to CD and store a copy in a safe deposit box, in your pack and mailed to a relative in a distant state.

tro

#48253 - 09/08/05 04:16 PM Re: Radical changes in my assumptions for planning
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
"3)I already use an on-line data backup service which automatically uploads designated files to two remote storage servers (East coast and West coast)."

I've never thought about this. I've heard of these services and discounted them for fear of my private data being exposed, but your idea of photos of your house and contents is a great idea. And for private but critical data, why not encrypt it before uploading? Don't know why that thought never came to me.

Can you recommend a particular service provider?

#48254 - 09/08/05 05:59 PM Re: Radical changes in my assumptions for planning
groo Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Florida
Sure. And it's free.

Google's Gmail. Get an account, and mail yourself the encrypted zip file. Done. I think they're offering, like, 2 gigabytes of storage now.

I have invites, if that's still necessary. I thought I read where anyone could sign up though.

#48255 - 09/08/05 06:45 PM Re: Radical changes in my assumptions for planning
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think I read someplace that Google is now the largest owner of computer capacity on the planet, haveing outstripped Microsoft. Amazing. I'm doing the off-line thing. It's too good not to do.

#48256 - 09/09/05 01:23 AM Re: Radical changes in my assumptions for planning
paulr Offline
Addict

Simplest way to remotely back up moderate amounts of data is sign up for some of the free email accounts that give you 1-2 GB of storage. Just encrypt the files and mail them to yourself.

#48257 - 09/09/05 02:52 AM Re: Radical changes in my assumptions for planning
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Recent events have pointed out that at least some of my planning assumptions need to be rethought. Here are some of the changes

This has also changed my thinking as well. Primarily, I'm going to pay more attention to a bug-out scenario.

While my primary approach to most disasters would be still be to SIP - even if my home was destroyed, I admit I more or less (mentally) dismissed the possibility that I might have to leave.

While we are in an earthquake zone, I'm not particularly close to the coast, or a flood zone or a potential lahar flow, etc, in the end, I have to remind myself that there is always a possibility of something you weren't expecting (maybe downwind from a chemical spill or something) and there is always the possibility you will be ordered out.

So, I think I'm going to rework things and do more bugout planning. I'll probably set a time limit for getting things loaded up. Probably a couple of cases that can be strapped to the Jeep and go.

I think I'm also going to put a bit more emphasis on self defense. I've always kept this in mind, but it is a reminder how easily things can get out of hand.

Also, I'm probably going to look more at insurance and electronic (portable) copies of importaint records.

-john

Edited by JohnN (09/09/05 02:53 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 405 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.